WHY ANY OF THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES WOULD BE “BETTER ENOUGH”
THAN ANY OF THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES
Michael T. Griffith
Republican candidates and/or their supporters unfairly and hypercritically
attack a fellow GOP candidate who goes on to win the nomination, they run the
risk of making too many Republicans think that the nominee is unacceptable,
therefore demoralizing them and causing them to sit out the election. We're
seeing many people on conservative forums saying things like, "There's no
way I will vote for McCain," or "if Rudy gets the nomination I'm not
voting this time," or "if Huckabee wins I'm out of here," etc.,
I submit that any of the GOP candidates would be "better enough" than any of the Dems to warrant our support. Candidate by candidate, here's what we would get from each of the GOP candidates that we would not get from any of the Dems:
* Cut taxes as mayor of
Restrained the rate of increase in overall city spending to just 2.84%, slightly
below the level of inflation plus population, even though he had to deal with a
very liberal city council.
* Supported school choice in NYC, and continues to advocate school choice.
* Promoted adoption over abortion; adoptions increased while abortions decreased during his tenure.
* Reduced the number of city employees by 3.1%.
* Abolished seven entire offices in the NYC mayoral administration.
Reformed welfare, reduced welfare fraud, cut welfare rolls by over 50%.
* Pledges to appoint conservative judges to the federal bench (and his judicial advisory panel is a solidly conservative bunch).
* Pledges to work to reduce the size of the federal government, partly by not replacing federal workers who retire over the next several years.
Pledges to build the border fence and to seal the border.
* Passionately supports a market-based solution to the health care problem and has spoken eloquently about why socialized medicine doesn't work.
* Shut down porn shops in downtown NYC and drastically reduced crime.
Cut funding for offensive art at city museum.
* Cut the state capital gains tax rate by 25% in
* Abolished capital gains taxes on home sales.
* Abolished the state marriage penalty tax.
* Pushed through the first broad-based tax cuts in decades, saving taxpayers nearly $400 million.
* Indexed income tax brackets to inflation, thus protecting taxpayers from being pushed into higher tax brackets by inflation.
Doubled the child-care tax credit.
* Increased the tax deduction for single individuals to $2,000.
* Increased the tax deduction for married couples to $4,000.
* Banned illegal aliens from getting drivers licenses.
* Helped pass an unborn child amendment to state constitution.
* Helped pass a traditional marriage amendment to state constitution.
Pushed through a property owners’ bill of rights that limited property tax
hikes and protected homeowners from unfair tax assessments.
* Pushed through homeschooling-friendly legislation.
* Limited the increase in the overall rate of state spending to 4.9%.
* Protected gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits.
* Removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders.
* Pushed through legislation that allowed the state to fire school boards and school superintendents in school districts that were chronically performing badly.
Has signed the Americans for Tax
Reform's Presidential Taxpayer Protection Pledge, which states he will
"oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for
individuals and/or businesses . . . and oppose any net reduction or elimination
of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing
* Good ratings from conservative groups on taxes and spending; lifetime rating of 83 from the American Conservative Union.
* Mostly pro-2nd Amendment voting record—for example, voted against the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban, and voted to prohibit lawsuits against gun makers.
* Good record on abortion-related legislation: voted to ban federal grants to organizations that perform abortions, voted for parental notification, voted to impose criminal penalties for harming a fetus during a crime, and received 0% rating from pro-abortion group NARAL.
Voted for all of Bush's conservative judicial nominees.
* Voted for the Defense of Marriage Act.
* Voted to remove Bill Clinton from office.
* Routinely voted against earmarks.
* Began speaking out against federal spending increases, pork, and earmarks years ago, while most other Republicans in Congress were busy doing the opposite.
* Repeatedly fought to reduce federal spending.
Received grade of A and rating of 88% for 2006-2007 from the National Taxpayers
Union, and received grade of B and rating of 67% for 1992-2005. (By comparison, Congressman
Duncan Hunter received a 62% rating for 1992-2005, and all of the Democratic
candidates received a 0%--as in zero percent--for the same period.)
* Voted to build the border fence.
* Pledges to secure the border before trying to take any other action on the immigration issue. He's even suggested that border state governors certify that the border has been sealed before anything else is done on immigration.
* Supports making the Bush tax cuts permanent.
* Voted for amendment to ban flag-burning.
* Voted to end affirmative action hiring with federal funds.
* Voted to ban partial-birth abortion.
* Voted for legislation that would have reduced overall federal spending.
Strongly supports building more nuclear power plants.
* Voted for bill that would have required schools to allow voluntary school prayer.
* Never voted for a tax increase.
* Voted against all gun control measures, and has introduced bills to repeal the Brady Bill and other gun control legislation.
* Good ratings from conservative groups on a wide range of issues.
Advocates ending all welfare and government services for illegal aliens.
* Advocates physically securing the border.
Advocates getting the
* Champion of funding for Veterans programs, received 100% rating from Disabled Veterans of America, and endorsed for Congressional reelection by Veterans of Foreign Wars Political Action Committee.
* Advocates abolishing the income tax and the IRS, and proposes to cut federal spending to make up for the abolition of the income tax.
* Advocates abolishing unconstitutional federal agencies, starting with the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Commerce.
* Supported legislation that would have prohibited federal courts from even hearing cases involving issues like prayer in school and the Ten Commandments in school, and still supports this action.
* Supports Defense of Marriage Act and advocates prohibiting federal courts from being able to hear cases involving state laws on gay marriage.
Pro-life, supports overturning Roe v. Wade.
* Sponsored a school prayer constitutional amendment.
* Supports tuition tax credits for private schools and homeschoolers.
* Voted against prohibitions on offshore oil drilling.
* Voted for border fence, has received good ratings from FAIR and USBC for tough record on illegal immigration.
* Voted for tax cuts of all kinds.
* Vows to appoint conservative judges to federal bench.
One of only four Republican Congressmen who supported Ronald Reagan over Gerald
Ford in 1976.
* Held the rate of increase in overall state spending to 1.1% as governor of
* Repeatedly fought to cut the state income tax rate. His proposed tax cut would have saved taxpayers nearly $700 million.
* Prevented the legislature from imposing capital gains taxes retroactively.
* Passed property tax relief for senior citizens.
* Streamlined wasteful, duplicative state agencies.
Balanced the budget without any broad-based tax increases.
* Vetoed stem cell research bill.
* Pushed vote on traditional marriage in an effort to prevent gay marriage.
* Vetoed bill to give tuition breaks to children of illegal aliens.
* Opposed drivers licenses for illegal aliens.
* Advocates securing border and building border fence.
* Advocates making all the Bush tax cuts permanent.
* Vows to appoint conservative judges to federal bench.
* Supports federal marriage amendment.
* Opposes any new gun control laws.
* Good ratings from conservative groups.
* Good pro-gun voting record.
* Consistently voted for tax cuts.
* Voted for Defense of Marriage Act.
* Advocates building border fence and securing border.
* Tough on illegal immigration.
* Advocates downsizing the federal government and reducing federal spending.
Voted against including sexual orientation in definition of hate crimes.
* Good pro-life voting record, endorsed by National Right-to-Life Committee, favors overturning Roe v. Wade.
* Supports school choice and voted for school-choice legislation.
* Voted for legislation that would have required a super-majority to pass tax increases.
* Voted to ban human cloning.
* Voted to limit death penalty appeals.
* Voted to limit foreign aid.
Voted for conservative judges for federal bench.
* The second-strongest federalist in the race.